Ubuntu Privacy Remix (UPR) developers released a new modified version of the Linux Ubuntu operating system and now are available for download online.
UPR is a Live CD Destro that aims to provide users with an environment that allows to safely handling personal information, the system installed on the computer running UPR remains untouched.
The risk of theft of such private data arises not only from “conventional” criminals, trojans. rootkits, keyloggers etc. Ubuntu Privacy Remix is a tool to protect your data against unsolicited access.
To mitigate the risks Ubuntu Privacy Remix tries to create such a working environment on any PC with the following measures:
• The system resides on a read-only CD, Spyware and other malicious software cannot be installed permanently.
• The system completely ignores any potentially compromised local (S-)ATA hard disks.
• The system kernel is modified so that it cannot activate any network hardware. No LAN/WLAN/Bleutooth/Infrared etc.
• The system is based on free software which can be verified in source code.
• To ease working with a non-modifiable system, UPR introduces “extended TrueCrypt-Volumes”, which can store program configuration like GnuPG settings, OpenOffice dictionaries etc. permanently and securely within an encrypted volume.
The OS software component, including the system kernel, has been updated to the latest versions and as a result the creators managed to get rid of some bugs and vulnerabilities. In addition to the CD version there is a special utility to create bootable USB-drive directly from the protected environment.
you can download Ubuntu Privacy Remix 9.04r3 here.
make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!