Office Document that we create and use may include not only Metadata information but also some necessary and very useful information. From the security point of view it may contain even sensitive information.
The following are some examples of metadata that may be stored in your documents:
1. Your name
2. Document revision,
3. Your initials
4. Your company or organization name
5. The name of your computer
6. The name of the network server or hard disk where you saved the document
7. Other file properties and summary information
8. Non-visible portions of embedded OLE objects, Template information ,Operating system version
9. Hidden text, Comments
Microsoft has also provided the way to remove personal information, Comments in Documents, Headers and Footers from Documents, Revision Marks… you can find all steps here.
Now for getting all these information you can use Metadata Analyzer by Smartpctools which is an analytical tool for checking MS Office documents: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft PowerPoint for unauthorized private information disclosure.
And for getting the OS version that created the MS Office document you can use OLE reversing that allows to extract sensitive information from documents (like users ID, timestams,..)
make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!