AVG Released Bart Ransomware Decryptor
Security Software Company AVG released a new free utility to recover files encrypted with Bart ransomware, Bart is a new malware that was initially discovered on June, this was sent using spam messages by Necurs botnet.
This malware is not as other ransomware malwares where it will encrypt the files. Bart will create an archive and move the required files into this archive with a protected password similar to TrueCrypt software. Next the malware will delete original files from its location.
The tool developed by AVG will uncover the key used by Bart. This mean that you will anyway need your original files to use this tool and uncover the key used by the malware. You may have original files from a backup or email sent to a remote person. The step to use the tool is by providing original file and the archive protected with password. Next AVG tool will crack the password and decrypt the archive.
To protect your systems and servers against ransomware threat make sure to apply the following:
- Backup your important files on a scheduled basis ( This can be daily or weekly)
- Store the backed up files offline so if the system will be infected files remain secure
- Keep your real time protection enabled so your security program will scan any file coming from emails, web or an attached storage.
- Keep all your system and application up-to-date. This will help to fix any vulnerability that can be used by the malicious software.
- Check your permission and use the lowest needed. Use administrator privileges only if they are really required to install application or execute a software.
You can read more and download this tool over here: https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2016/07/21/bart-ransomware-decryptor/